My Blog

Roof Construction

  • 19/09/2017

Following the lifting up and installation of the roof trusses, I opened the main roof and built the diminishing trusses from the old roof structure to the new trusses and started on the construction of the valley between the two roofs using a timber valley covered with a GRP trough.

The photo below shows the timber backing with the breather membrane covering prior to the GRP valley being installed.

I decided to put a temporary sheet over the whole roof to stop my joists and trusses getting soaked and warping. This made life easier and more difficult in equal measure. I used the 2000 gauge DPM that I had left over from the concrete floor. I stapled it and then realised the wind was going to lift that straight off so ended up battening it down.

Trusses Arrive

  • 12/09/2017

Truss Installation Timelapse

Here’s the video of my brother and I hauling the trusses up the side of the building and onto the wallplates by use of a long rope and some brute force.

I subsequently added a course of engineering bricks to raise the roof height slightly.

Arrived at Wallplate

  • 23/08/2017

Now we’re at the wallplate height and waiting for the trusses to be made and delivered.

Not much can be done now until they arrive.

Up Up & Away

  • 25/04/2017

Here’s a couple of clips from the CCTV which show the progress of the build quite well

The Garage

  • 07/04/2017

This is the bit I have been looking forward to the least.

The garage is full of stuff so I could not afford for it to be exposed to the weather for any time at all.

The drawings utilise the existing garage wall as the lower part of the inner leaf and a steel beam to be installed to for the support for the outer leaf.

In order for me to continue building the blockwork upwards I needed to take off a part of the garage roof to expose the brickwork.

This sounds easy but the garage is a flat GRP roof that slopes backwards towards where I am working, this means that any rain that falls is going to run down towards the open roof and into the garage so I better work quickly and pick my day.

First I removed the door & frame in order to make the door central and create a support pier

New blockwork completed and door reinstalled

In goes the lintel and the roof is off

Here you see the padstone in place for the steel to support the outer leaf

What I have done to stop water running into the garage is buy some torch on felt and apply it to the GRP roof and create a dam. So far it seems to work pretty well.

First Two Steels In!

  • 18/03/2017

Now that my padstones are in and set, I have taken the plunge and got my steel beams in.

There are two beams, bolted together with spacer tubes between them in order to give rigidity and the correct spacing.

This cavity wall matches the existing building rather than the standard 100mm gap as it will need to extend onto the existing structure when the roof goes on, to create a gable end due to the uneven spacing of the trusses. More will become clear on this later.

I managed to get both of these beams in without assistance, which is handy as I didn’t have anyone around to help.

Padstone Two

  • 10/03/2017

I bought a Bosch laser leveller and I’m so glad I did. It’s been so bloody handy!

I got the laser out and got a level from Padstone One across to the existing building and marked up where Padstone Two has to be height wise.

Then I broke out the Bosch SDS drill and used my new Armeg mortar chisel to carefully remove a few bricks and dry fitted the padstone. It went in perfectly.


Knocked up some strong mortar with sharp sand (for extra resilience) and bedded Padstone Two in place. Checked the level and it’s spot on, not a bad 45 minutes work.

Time for Tea & Medals.

Getting Cold Outside Now & More Blocks Delivered

  • 24/01/2017

It’s getting really cold outside now, and I’m having to add frostproofer to the mortar. It’s becoming a real task to get motivated to go outside and get on with this!

Second time lucky for Ridgeons as they brought the wrong blocks initially. I substituted the 7n dense concrete blocks for 3.2n celcon standard blocks and they forgot. The driver had to go away and come back with the right ones. We got there eventually.

Vaulted Roof Underway

  • 22/12/2016

Now that the rear of the extension is up to the wallplate height, I have started to frame the vaulted roof using 47×175 graded timber that I bought from A10 Timber

There are two large rooflights to go into this roof to allow light into the interior of the ground floor, these are framed with double joists either side and double trimmers between, all bolted together with coach bolts and timber connectors.

First Lintels In

  • 18/12/2016

So I’m up to the lintel height at the back of the building now and I have fitted the first two lintels. One over the patio doors and one over the kitchen window.

They’re not as easy to fit as I thought, keeping the blocks level on the lintel is actually pretty tricky as they seem to have a tendency to tilt outwards, I took it slow and steady and used support to hold the blocks plumb.


Not sure if I made the right block choice with these 7n dense concrete ones, they are a killer!